Monday, September 28, 2009

The blind can climb mountains

This article follows Justin Grant who has Stargardt's disease and a team of blind, low vision, and sighted climbers who go on expedition to climb mountains.  They have climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt, Rainier, and up Machu Picchu.  The article explains how Justin got into climbing, as well as introduces the rest of the team, all of which are members of Team Sight Unseen. It shows that adversity drives people to acheive.  So having a disability is in many ways a benefit.  I don't agree with Justin when he said "If there was a cure for me, I’m not even sure I would want it."  I feel that my disability has given me a sense of drive that I may not have had otherwise, but getting a cure wouldn't remove that drive.

Click the Title for the full article plus some photos and a video

No comments:

Post a Comment